Alaskan Cruising August 26, 2006Posted by Dylan in My huge summer holidays.
- WOW! What a ship!!
- We spent the first afternoon just exploring the ship.
- It has 2 pools,2hot tubs, all you can eat ice cream parlour, hot dog and taco stand, a casino, a library and internett cafe, kids club, a tennis court, a basketball court, 2 table tennis tables, an entertainment area with a stage and lots of bars!!
- We did a lifeboat drill where we had to put our life vests on and stand next to our life boats-Chloe was really scared
- The next day we were just sailing so Chloe and i went to kids club (aka Club Hal) it was so much fun!
- That night was the formal dinner so we had to dress up!!
- Aug 4th we arrived in Juneau after travelling up the Tracy Arm
- We went to the Mendenhall Glacier. What an experience-it was freezing and it was summer, i had to wear 5 layers and the last one was a huge rainsuit. We paddled out in a 12 person Indian Canoe. I paddled all the time (what a champion) We also saw a waterfall and picked up lots of icebergs on the way.
- The next day we were on Skagway-we decided to have a slow day and just stroll around town.
- On the 6th we sailed into Glacier Bay. It was a magnificent Glacier and we saw white thunder-which is where the glacier falls and smashes into the water and makes a big KABOOM!! It was still cold!!
- It was raining in Ketchikan the next day-which is ‘the usual’ it doesn’t rain for maybe 5 days a year. They call it ‘liquid sunshine’
- We went on The Duck which was an amphibious vehicle (it went on the land and the sea). It continued to rain and i got wet!!
- In the afternoon we strolled around the town and saw the salmon trying to swim upstream!! They are amazing! We saw some seals trying to eat the fish.
- Dad finally bought mum a Tanzonite ring-it is blue and small.
- That night it was formal again and Mum and Dad had dinner with Dave and Louise at the Pinnacle Grill while Chloe and I went to kids club. I got a bit sea sick that night cause the boat was rockin’ and i slept on the top bunk which made it worse
- The next day we sailed back down the Inside Passage and arrived in Vancouver the next day.