Ontario Science Museum May 26, 2006Posted by Dylan in Canada.
On Tuesday May 23rd we went to the Ontario Science Museum in Toronto
- We went with a year 9 class from dads school
- We travelled to Toronto on a yellow school bus- it took an hour
When we got there we went to KIDSPARK
- Kidspark was a “hands on” area just for kids
- We played on musical pipes, pretended to be in a recording studio, made ball slides, played shop, went on a whirly ride (like the teacup ride in disneyland), kept a ball in the air with a turbo air machine.
Then we went to the sport section
- I rode a bobsled with dad and saw how fast and accurately i could throw a baseball
- I found out how soft i could land when jumping from a height- i jumped 7.3 times my body weight
- I balanced on a balance beam- I was good at that because I had done this in gymnastics at school
- I went on a machine that measured how long you could balance for- I made 1.3 seconds- it was really hard
- I tried to jump to reach a basketball hoop- I need to grow big time!!
After the sport section we went into a space lab to learn about the solar system and the stars in the northen hemisphere
- We had been in a planetarium like this one in Madame Tussards in London
- We looked through perspex squares to see a rainbow- light refraction
- We learnt about the zodiac signs in the stars- we saw mums- the scorpio and the seven sisters- the Japanese call these stars The Subaru (like the car sign)
After that we went to the Communciation and Human body sections
- we looked at the way other countries communicate
- I wrote my name in Heirogliphics
- I saw how babies are born- it looks painful (OOOOUCH!!)
- There was a machine there that aged you 50 years- but the line was too long
The museum had a rainforest in the middle of it
Chloe and I had fun chasing virtual fish- projected onto the floor- if you touched one it would swim away- amazing!
At the end of the day we went to a chemistry presentation
- Rob the scientist showed us experiments with liquid chemicals
- He talked about chemical change- colour, smell, heat, light
- He made things go bang
- At the end he exploded a balloon